On Board Learning Concept
Take the training of your seafarers out of the classrooms ashore and introduce relevant, short, on board training sessions instead. This enables the seafarers to receive and process the learning in their own environment using their own tools and implement the learning directly in everyday work tasks.
The concept is:
- User friendly – the package is easy to use so you don’t need instructor experience to facilitate the training (plug & play)
- Achievable – it takes 30-45 minutes to go through one module
- Process oriented – the training involves the group of participants actively
The concept consists of the following:
- Instructor’s guide: a designated officer will facilitate the training session supported by the instructor’s guide
- Snippet video: an animation video 8-10 minutes long for the participants to see
- Hand-outs: presenting the group activity and discussion about the topic facilitated by the instructing officer
- Exam questionnaire: Participants complete a questionnaire about the topic to verify the learning
The On Board Training is relevant and efficient for the participants and is in line with the 70-20-10 framework (70% of learning happens through experience, 20% happens through others, and only 10% in the classroom).
The On Board Learning Concept covers a range of risk management modules and new topics are currently being developed.